How to report
Any person can make a complaint to the Integrity Commission about Tasmanian public sector misconduct, including serious misconduct by police officers. A complaint to the Integrity Commission must be in writing, but it can be anonymous.
All complaints of alleged misconduct are assessed to determine if they are a protected disclosure under the Public Interest Disclosures Act 2002 (the PID Act). Under the PID Act, disclosures can be made both orally and in writing.
If you think that the Integrity Commission is the correct agency for your complaint, and that it fits within our jurisdiction, please report it to us.
When you are ready to send us your complaint we ask that you:
1. Check that your complaint or report fits within our jurisdiction.
- The Integrity Commission, under its legislation, can only deal with matters that relate to misconduct by a public sector authority or officer, as well as elected members of State Parliament and local government. Public sector authorities include state government departments, government businesses, police, custodial officers, the University of Tasmania and councils.
2. Ensure that your complaint or information is legitimate.
- Your complaint should be provided in good faith, in the belief that it is correct. The legislation makes it an offence to make a false complaint.
3. Consider giving us your details.
- While we accept anonymous complaints, we do encourage you to provide your personal details. If you are anonymous we will be unable to contact you and we cannot follow up if we need to obtain more information.
- Provide as many relevant details as you can. You do not have to provide every possible document with the form but please ensure you clearly outline those matters relevant to your complaint.
You can report using one of these options:
- completing the secure online complaint form
- download a complaint form and returning it to us by email, post or fax
- telephone the Integrity Commission on 1300 720 289 to request a form be sent to you.
Download a complaint form:
Use our downloadable complaint form (PDF 96.5 KB) if you want to print out the form and write in your responses. If you need help in completing the form or need an interpreter, please contact us to make arrangements on 1300 720 289 or by email.
Forward the completed form and any associated documents to:
Integrity Commission, GPO Box 822,
HOBART TAS 7001
Fax: 03 6173 0262
Where the information is highly confidential, we recommend submitting your complaint via our secure online form, or by post or fax.