Skip to Content
Menu Close

Before you make a complaint

Before making a complaint, we encourage you to consider:

  • Does your complaint relate to public sector misconduct? We can only accept complaints related to this, and
  • Are you making the complaint in good faith? It is an offence to knowingly make a false complaint

Another important factor to consider is whether you can give us your contact details. We understand that this can be a difficult decision to make and want to support you to make it with confidence. We offer three options:

Provide your contact details

Read Close

This allows us to follow up with you about your complaint and seek further information if required. We can also keep you informed about the status of your complaint.

If we decide to refer your complaint to a different agency, your contact details may be included.

Provide your contact details, but ask that they be withheld

Read Close

We can follow up with you about your complaint and seek further information if required.

However, if you tell us you would prefer your contact details to be kept confidential, we can then withhold them from other organisations if we refer your complaint on for action.

Make an anonymous complaint

Read Close

We accept anonymous complaints.

If you submit an anonymous complaint, make sure the information you provide is as comprehensive as possible. This is important because the information you provide in the complaint will determine what action we can take.

We won’t be able to contact you to seek further information or update you about the status of your complaint, but we will take it seriously.

Preparing your complaint

Complaints must be made in writing.

Provide as much relevant information as you can. Include copies of any documents that support your complaint or give other relevant information.

For help with reading the complaint form or writing down your information, call the Tasmanian literacy hotline on 1300 002 610 or visit the 26TEN website.

If you require assistance with accessibility services, please visit our accessibility page.

Submitting your complaint

There are three ways to submit a complaint to the Commission:

We cannot accept complaints over the phone or assist with writing complaints.

What happens next

If you have provided us with your contact details, we will confirm with you when we receive your complaint and may contact you for further information or clarification. If we cannot accept your complaint because it does not fit within our functions, we will let you know.

Soon after we receive your complaint, our complaint handling process will begin. As outlined in our Act, this three-stage process involves:


Read Close

The aim of triage is to determine the initial action we will take. There are three outcomes from triage – we can either dismiss, refer or assess the complaint.

If we dismiss your complaint, we will tell you why. Similarly, we will let you know if we refer your complaint elsewhere for action. Sometimes this is the most appropriate way to address certain matters. When we refer a complaint, we can monitor and audit how it is dealt with and can require the referral body to report on any action it plans to take.


Read Close

The third outcome from triage is assessment. During an assessment, we conduct preliminary enquiries to better understand the matter, with a focus on publicly available information.

We aim to complete assessments within 40 business days. When we have finished the assessment, we will either dismiss the complaint, refer it to another body or make the decision to investigate it ourselves.


Read Close

The decision to start investigating a complaint does not necessarily mean there has been wrongdoing, only that we are seeking to establish the facts.

Investigations can be complex and take considerable time. If necessary, we can exercise our investigative powers to obtain information or require individuals to be interviewed.

The Board of the Integrity Commission makes the decision on whether or not to publicly release an investigation report.

We take your privacy into account during all stages of this process.

If you provided your contact details with your complaint, we will let you know the outcome of your complaint. This may take some time because we work to make sure we get the right outcome.

This page was last updated on 14 Jul 2021.